Sunday, January 18, 2009

Stagecoach Century, Saturday Jan 17

(click to enlarge map)

I have about six weeks worth of training into this 100 mile bike ride. The last few weeks, had to forgo the surfing and golf to be sure that my back would be good for the ride. As you get older, you either get smarter or pay the price.

The night before the ride, got to bed early and made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for breakfast. Set two alarm clocks and then went to bed after taking a temazepam (used for high altitude sleep aid). Somehow, overslept and woke in a panic with 15 minutes to leave the house. This was not in the plan, but felt reassured that things never go completely as planned. Also, kind of regretted telling Jeremy (my friend who flew in from Portland to do the ride) the day before that he was always late.



Sunrise in Ocotillo was beautiful, in the 50's and felt desert warm already. The start point is now West of town, at the community park. The participants are a diverse group, both serious bikers and weekend warriors. The mood is slightly anxious, but friendly. Our team of Mike, Bruce, Pat, Jeremy and myself start at the designated 7:15 time and get in a pace line of other riders moving a bit fast for me. After about ten or fifteen minutes, decided that I better drop off and ride at my own pace, if I was going to make the distance. Score one for strategy but a lessening of the certitude that I was really ready for this one.

Since the wind wasn't a factor going out, the pace line wasn't really as essential as in previous Stagecoach rides. This was good for me, because there was no pressure to keep up with any group to beat the wind. At the first rest stop at the Carrizo Badland Overlook, everyone in my group got back together and then I realized that we weren't separated by that much time afterall. The volunteers were very friendly and organized.

The ocotillos were in deep green from the recent rains. The smell of the open desert is unique and brings back many childhood memories for me. The sun was brilliant and all our spirits were rising with it. This was going to be an easy one. My friends and I became more confident and you could feel a lifting of our fears about lack of conditioning etc.

Mike made an excellent summary of the ride and I can't hope to top it for nailing the facts of the ride:

"The ride conditions were very good. Winds were calm to slight tail wind going out and variable head winds coming back, except for a short stretch near the end were we were able to cruise easily at 26 mph. Temps were 54 at the start and got up to 80. No crashes or flats or cramps. Aid stations were fully stocked with good stuff and attended by able friendly volunteers."

"The top section is the raw and calculated data, most of which shows up on the graphs on the far right. The ascent and decent data is not found on the graphs. The top graph is plotted over time. The bottom is plotted over distance." (click to enlarge, from Mike's bike computer download)

We all finished the ride in good shape. According to the computer on Jeremy's bike, we did the 100 miles in 6 hours and 59 minutes of actual bike riding. Many thanks to Mike for the Corona that tasted better than any beer in a long time. Looking forward to next year, when I may even buy a tee shirt.

For you adrenaline junkies, take a look at my friend Bill's helmet cam on a speed run:


Kitchen Creek by Bill Ross from John McFrog on Vimeo.




1 comment:

  1. I am glad to see you guys finally got some good weather. I think Mike should be the designated Corona guy on all bike rides.

    ReplyDelete